Thursday 31 October 2013

The ultimate conversation starter

Braun’s President Austin Lally told me recently that watches are a conversation starter, and I totally agree.

It would be quite hard to beat a Sekonda tourbillon in the conversation-starting stakes. Yes, such a genius mass-market watch does exist and was launched only a few months ago. It’s yours for only around £1,400.

Of course, there’s a catch. The movement is made in China, but it is a proper tourbillon, I’m told by my mole at the Marcus boutique on London’s Bond Street. 

Marcus houses one of the world’s largest collections of high-end watches – I once tried on a $2m-plus Franck Muller Aeternitas Mega 4, just for the hell of it. My head spun for days... But Marcus Margulies, the owner of this fabulous namesake boutique, also owns Sekonda.

I feel like buying one and wearing it at the forthcoming edition of SalonQP, the luxury watch fair being held in London from November 7-9. Imagine the exhibitors’ faces when I tell them I’m sporting a tourbillon and show them this masterpiece. I’m liking this idea...

Sekonda Skeleton Tourbillon face


Hand-winding Skeleton Tourbillon movement


Mineral case back glass

For watch-lovers, here are the watch features:

Hand-winding Skeleton Tourbillon movement.
Calibre HS 2233 Tourbillon mechanism.
19 jewels.
Sapphire crystal face glass.
Mineral case back glass. 
Diamond cut hands.
Stainless steel case.

40-hour power reserve.

Good work, Marcus!