Wednesday 30 October 2013

MJ Rabbit meets... Silvio Denz, CEO, Lalique

My most head-turning moment at the TFWA World Exhibition was when I finally met Silvio Denz, CEO of Lalique. I've always thought of Denz as the James Bond of the brand world, and I've always wanted to meet him. Like me, he loves luxury.

The suave Swiss entrepreneur was in Cannes to celebrate the unveiling of Lalique's latest collaboration with The Macallan - a $25,000 handcrafted decanter containing 62yo whisky.

After explaining to journalists the quality and craftsmanship that had gone into the making of this masterpiece, he gazed at his watch. He had to leave in a few minutes.

As a watch-lover, I knew the signs. This is a man who loves watches. Before he departed, Denz showed me his unique Chopard L.U.C. - number one of 25 - given to him as a gift by his friend Karl-Friedrich Scheufele, co-CEO of Chopard. Yes, it was number ONE of a very rare chronograph collection. Scream!

So what other watches does he own? He has a collection of Patek Philippes, as he likes the complications and owns a number of rare limited editions. Parmigiani also forms part of his collection, again for the complications and the limited editions.

Denz said his other passion is wine - he owns five Bordeaux estates. His personal collection spans over 35,000 bottles, according to his Wiki. (I can only manage 1,000 - on a good day.)

He agreed to meet me for a proper interview in London, where he lives in Richmond when he's not jetting/helicoptering around the globe pursuing his numerous business interests.

Watch this space!

Swiss entrepreneur Silvio Denz